@1 year ago
#Giotto #The Lamentation
Giotto. “The Lamentation.” 1305-6. FLORENCE.
What my professor mentioned:
- lamentation is mourning
- the two women on the bottom stabilize the painting
- this is the first time a diagonal line in used
- it draws the eye to the action in the painting, Christ, which adds to the drama
- landscape, first time used
- emotions. naturalism of human emotion. other worldly.
- all other artists after him learn from his use of emotions.
What my professor DIDN’T mention and this information is entirely useless on exams so yeah this sucks:
- the diagonal actually draws the connection between Christ and the tree, which is a bare olive tree. it has been speculated that christ was actually crucified on an olive tree because many others have been.
- my professor doesn’t know shit.